02 March 2009

A Place for Tired Feet to Wander

I'm an avid hiker/backpacker. I love being outdoors and in the wild. It gives me a sense of really belonging, something I don't find in cities. Too much concrete for me.

Anyway, this summer I'd like to take a trip somewhere, a long camping trip.  My first choice is Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada.  It's a beautiful HUGE park, full of animals and practically untouched by man.  It'd be a tough trip though, since fires are prohibited in parts of the park and it can get downright cold at night, even in high summer.  Lots of gear needed for that one.

Another trip I'd like to take, and one that a lot of people could join in for, is a trip to Manistee National Forest in Manistee, MI.  It's not too far from home, but features some of the most spectacular beaches and dunes the state of Michigan has to offer.  I went on a trip there last summer with my aunt, and I was in awe.  We camped in a small bowl behind a barrier dune, only 150 yards or so from beautiful Lake Michigan.  Water was plentiful, obviously, and the park is huge, with wooded forest trails and miles of beachfront to hike.

If you'd maybe be interested, let me know. It'd be fun to get a nice group of people to go along and have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment